The 285 on Street of Cedofeita
It was an established dealer in Rua de São João, Porto, who in 1856 applied for and obtained a license to build the building that currently occupies the 285th Street Cedofeita. Joaquim Ferreira Guimarães Miller, born April 1919 in Santa Eulalia Barrosas, was an influential man in town, board member of the Board of the Celestial Order of the Trinity, and prestigious figure of the wine trade in the romantic city of mid-nineteenth century . The project had been in charge of Gustavo Adolfo Gonçalves de Sousa, Porto engineer, teacher, founder of the Industrial Association of Porto and, among other works of relief, directed the works of the Stock Exchange Palace, collaborated in the construction of Crystal Palace and designed the extension of Avenida da Boavista.
The Guimaraes family occupied the building until the mid-nineteenth century 70, having only been built about 1 / 3 of the original project disproportionate, when the death of Joachim and his wife Ermelinda Candida Ferreira Leite alter the course of family however established mainly in the industrial bourgeoisie Bonfim, thanks to the marriages of daughters with Carlos Ferreira da Silva Pereira and Joaquim Fernandes, who own weaving industries, on the eastern side of town. The building is then sold at auction to the investor Ana Macedo that transmits still alive to Porfirio nephews and Ana Julia de Macedo de Macedo. The building is occupied by the turn of century Couto family, through marriage with Ana Julia industrial Porto Ferreira de Andrade John Couto, owner of a cannery in Massarelos and one of the drivers, along with Antonio da Silva Cunha and Carlos Afonso , Union of Industrialists of the North as a result of a split in the Industrial Association of Porto.
In 1919, the building is acquired by Ana Fernandes Alice, widow of the famous plumber Guilherme Gomes Fernandes, and companion of the aforementioned Antonio da Silva Cunha, main partner of the shirt Trust, in Rua de Santa Catarina, where, in 1896, it ran the first Portuguese film "Out of Factory Workers Personal Trust." In the following decade, and after Alice Ana Fernandes transfer your residence to the pine trees, the building becomes the most important private art center in Porto, thanks to the efforts of three distinct personalities of the first half of the twentieth century: the Jacinto Silva Pereira Magalhães, who had been mayor of Porto and was the owner of "Factory weaving Jacinto", founded by his grandfather's namesake, in the early nineteenth century, Alvaro de Miranda Pinto, self-taught architect, influential figure in the decorative arts interior and innovative style "Portuguese house" and, finally, Alberto Silva, painter and painting teacher, and a key driver of the Hall Silva Porto until the early 40s, the period of greatest brightness of the institution attended and exhibited the major artists of the time in Portugal.
Until the mid-60, then led by Valverde family, the hall Silva Porto, albeit less exuberant and influential in the 20 and 30, had a role in the dissemination of contemporary art in Porto. In 1968, the building became a dependency of the host Carolina Michaelis School and in 1974, who established there the School Irene Lisbon.
In the 90s, after an opening period in which it was installed in Breyner Street, the ISCET installs itself in the 285 Cedofeita Street, beginning a period of enormous glow on knowledge, science and higher education in the middle of urban core of the enlarged city Porto.